Thursday, June 12, 2014

Melissa, The Runner: Take Two.

I've started running again. While it was tough to get back in to the routine, I'm happy with my decision. (I feel like I'm also obligated to tell you that, less than a month in to the routine, and I've already broken it - but let's not harp on my imperfections). Before I carry on though, I need to thank Erin. She is the biggest reason why I started running again. She wanted to start to be healthier and exercise more, and she told me that she started this 5k trainer app. In 8 weeks, it prepares you to run a 5k through interval training. I looked in to it, read some reviews, and decided to join the bandwagon.


A little background. It was just over a year ago when I decided to become a runner for the first time (see here and here). I had joined Weight Watchers and was having success and wanted to start incorporating some form of exercise. I have lots of friends who are runners, so I thought I'd give it a try. And I LOVED it. Being outdoors, listening to music, and trying to beat my times and distances with each run (I'm extremely competitive...even with myself). However, since moving to Beijing, my running days have become few and far between. I don't want to sound like I'm making excuses (I know...I am), but the air quality here sucks! It's hard enough to breath somedays just walking from my apartment to my classroom, let alone trying to run 5k. And we don't have a decent gym. And the first 5 months of living here we didn't have a treadmill that worked. SO...my running options were scarce. And honestly, it just became easier to give up than to find alternatives. Lazy, I know. 

So, thank you Erin for sparking my interest and getting me motivated again. She's the one who made me the sign above. "It may not be easy. It won't always be fun. But it'll always be worth it. So get out there and RUN." Truer words have never been spoken. Oh! I should also mention that I'm running three times a week at 6:20am before work. Me. First thing in the morning. Running. Those of you who know me know how big of a deal this is. Truly. 

So I'm running. For a couple of reasons: to lose some weight, to "tighten things up" if you will, to be active, to kickstart my energy levels, and to be healthier. So far I'm on week three and running at 3 minute intervals. Next week we jump to 5 minutes. And by the end of July I should be back to running 5k's. 

Here's to health, happiness, and achieving goals! 

No comments:

Post a Comment