Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Sequins & Sweethearts.

I love checking things off my bucket list. Thanks to my Mom, Dad, and Grandmom, this weekend I did just that!

I'm not a very sporty girl. However, at a young age I fell in love with the sport of figure skating. My mom and dad registered me for my first skating lessons when I was 5 or 6 (correct me if I'm wrong, Mom). I do remember that I loved skating very much! When it came down to choosing between gymnastics and skating because of conflicting schedules, it was an easy decision picking figure skating. I loved skating competitively. I'm not afraid to admit that when I was a young girl I loved having the attention on me. So, being alone on the ice showing the crowd what I could do on my skates was fun for me.

Another favourite part of skating for me were the numerous costumes my dedicated Grandmom used to make for me. Sequins, sequins, and more sequins. Ruffles, sparkles, and ribbons. And don't forget the matching scrunchies. Oh, the 90s!

I skated competitively till I was probably 12 or 13. My coaches moved away and couldn't commit to the hour and half commute to and from my neighbourhood rink 2-3 times a week. So, I spent the next 5 years teaching figure skating as volunteer work every Wednesday and Sunday afternoon. I didn't get much time to skate on my own, but I'd find intervals of time here and there to put on some music and just "wing it", if you will, around the ice. Sigh, I miss this.

Since my early days of skating competitively, I have ALWAYS wanted to take in a professional skating competition. I've been to fun professional ice shows like "Stars on Ice" and "Celebration on Ice", but I wanted to see the real thing. I wanted to experience the competition and challenging programs that I fell in love with. And this weekend, I did just that!

The Canadian Figure Skating Championships were held in Moncton this past weekend. As a birthday present my Mom, Dad, and Grandmom purchased tickets to the weekend portion of the competition for Mom, Grandmom, my friend Kate, and I. I was in pure bliss!

Nam Nguyen. This kid is only 13 years old competing with men 6-9 years older then him.
He's going to be a superstar someday!

Watching pairs skating is like watching a daredevil show!

Saturday was a full day of figure skating fun. Pairs, ice dance, and women's long program and men's short program lasted for 11 hours. What could have felt like a long day went by with a blink of an eye. The programs the skaters performed had me dancing in my seat, grinning from ear to ear, tearing up, and sending goosebumps down my spine. I got to see some of my favourite skaters like Tessa Virtue & Scott Moir, Patrick Chan, and Jessica Dube! I still can't believe I finally got to do this!

Patrick Chan. Enough said. 

But, if you ask ANYONE what my favourite part of the weekend was they wouldn't hesitate to give you the right answer. After the exhibition gala Sunday evening, I with much determination got an autograph and photo with Patrick Chan himself. I smiled all the way home afterwards.

<3 <3 <3

Me: "Patrick, could I get a photo with you"
Patrick: "Of course, sweetheart!"

HELLO! I'm in love <3

My autographed ticket from Patrick Chan

Oh, did I mention that one of the male skaters who is originally from Moscow did his long program to a medley of Michael Jackson hits. Yes, another highlight of the weekend!

The most fun I've had watching a long program. Elladj Blade doing an epic long program to
a Michael Jackson medley which included Bad, Dirty Diana, and Don't Care About Us.  

AND, I got to high five all of the skaters at the end of the exhibition gala when they did a victory circle around the rink. Yes, that means I touched the hands of Olympic gold medalists Tessa Virtue & Scott Moir and such cuties as Jeremy Ten, Kevin Reynolds, and Sebastian Wolfe.

Beauty and grace on ice. Tessa Virtue & Scott Moir.

I could do this every weekend.

Could I sound anymore like a 12 year old girl?

Thank you, thank you, thank you to Mom, Dad, and Grandmom for the greatest birthday present of all time! I loved every minute of last weekend and will never forget it. Love you! 

No comments:

Post a Comment