Monday, April 22, 2013

For Grandad. For My Family. For Me.

I'm trying to be a runner! And by trying, I mean I'm working towards a goal. And by that I mean I have been struggling to find some form of exercise that I enjoy and stay motivated to do. I feel like this is a cluster of statements that don't make any sense - but most of the time the activity in my brain rarely makes sense. But I tried exercise videos, and they get boring. I swim - but I don't do it routinely. Gyms frighten me. So I tried jogging/running...and I quite enjoyed it. I love being outdoors, and I love that I am doing something good for my body. And I love that I can see the improvements and my progress. I feel motivated to do more, and I feel motivated to keep getting better. So far, so good! 

This weekend, I did some thinking and wondered how I could motivate myself or set some sort of goal for myself to work towards. At my Weight Watchers meeting this past week, a member talked about how she used to be a cross country runner in high school. She said that she had just recently started WW and decided after 2 weeks to try and run a 5k race. It was hard for her, and she said she was quite astonished at how out of shape she was, but it motivated her to get back into exercising. I know many people who have run marathons and short distance races, and I have never thought of myself as one of those people. But I did some research this weekend, and I found that Calgary has a TON of 5k races and marathons in the city this time of year. But one in particular struck a chord with me...


The Brain Tumour Foundation of Canada does a Spring Sprint in the city that involves a walk, a 5k and 10k race. I knew immediately that I wanted to do this - but I didn't want to do it alone. So I asked a good friend of mine if she would be interested in joining me, and she didn't hesitate for a second. The two of us both have a history with family members and brain tumours and are passionate about this cause. 


On May 9th, 2011 my Grandad passed away from cancer. It started 5 years prior to that as skin cancer, and returned as a tumour in the brain. 7 months of battling, and Grandad's journey with the disease came to an end. Since then, our family has become closer, found ways to cope, and grown as a whole. I have found my own ways to deal with this stage in my life: by wearing a Livestrong bracelet, cutting my hair for cancer patients, writing this blog, getting a tattoo, and wearing a heart shaped necklace around my neck everyday in memory of my Grandfather. Now, as I have become stronger, I find ways to commemorate the memory of my Grandfather that make me happy, and know make him proud. I am running this race for him, for my family, and for me. 

I would love if you could take the time to click the link below and donate to this cause. Your support and encouragement mean a lot to me, and I can feel your love from miles away. 

RIP Grandad. Always and forever. 

To donate, click here!

1 comment:

  1. Donation made! I am so proud of you and I know your Grandad is, too! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete