Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Chicken Pot Pie Soup

Sorry that I haven't posted in a while. It's been a busy month, as December usually is. With Christmas parties, work, and recently coming down with an awful cold and sinus problem, I honestly just haven't been all that motivated to write. And I'm always so stumped as to what to write about. I have been meaning to write an update on my new lifestyle change/diet, and I wanted to share another recipe with my readers. I'm in this routine now where on Sunday's, after getting back from swimming, I make a pot of soup to have for my lunches for the week. I find that it motivates me to eat better, and it keeps me from eating out as frequently as I used to (saves money too!) A couple of Sunday's ago, I made "Chicken Pot Pie" soup, a recipe I found on the blog Skinnytaste.com. For those of you who are interested, here is the recipe:


Chicken Pot Pie Soup*

Ingredients: 
1/4 cup flour 
2 cups water 
4 cups fat free milk (skim milk) 
1 large celery stalk, chopped 
1/2 medium onion, chopped 
8 oz baby portabello mushrooms, sliced 
2 chicken bouillons 
fresh ground pepper 
pinch of thyme 
10 oz frozen classic mixed vegetables (peas, carrots, green beans, corn) 
2 potatoes, peeled and cubed small 
16 oz cooked chicken breast, diced small (about 3) 
salt 


1.  Create a slurry by combining 1/2 cup of cold water with flour in a medium bowl and whisk until blended well. Set this aside. 

2. Pour remaining amount of water and milk in a large pot and slowly bring to a boil. Add celery, onion, mushrooms, chicken boullion, thyme, fresh pepper, frozen vegetables, and return to a boil. Partially cover and swimmer on low until vegetables are soft, about 20 minutes. 

 

3. Remove lid and add potatoes. Cook until soft, about 5-10 minutes. 

4. Add chicken and slowly whisk in slurry, stirring well as you add to prevent clumping. Cook another 2-3 minutes, until soup thickens. Adjust salt and pepper to taste then serve!


This soup makes about 6 servings (1.5 cups each). It's a hearty soup, and I find it difficult to finish the full 1.5 cups. It's 6 points a serving and packed with vegetables. 

*A few tips: 
  • I poached my chicken breasts with garlic and thyme, then shredded them when they were cooled. This added a little bit more flavour to the chicken, and made it super moist and tender.
  • When washing fresh mushrooms, use a damp cloth to whip away any dirt. If you rinse them under running water they get rubbery as they act like a sponge and absorb any excess water left on them. 

I am nearing the end of my 4th week on Weight Watchers, and up to this point I have lost 11lbs. My goal was to lose 10lbs before flying home for Christmas, and I reached that goal a week early! I know that the holidays will be tough with home cooking and holiday treat temptations, but I have to remember to watch my portion control and also not to be too hard on myself, because honestly, Christmas comes once I hear and I think I can splurge here and there.

If you try the recipe, let me know what you think! I love reading all of your comments :)

*Recipe originally posted by Gina Homolka on her website skinnytaste.com






1 comment:

  1. This sounds delicious! I wish we still lived together so we could have it together. I'll definitely have to make it sometime.

    I've been washing my mushrooms that way ever since you told me :)

    And congratulations! 11 pounds! Woot woot!

    ReplyDelete