Wednesday, November 28, 2012

City Girl.

Last weekend, a bunch of us "Calgarians" went to a hockey game at the Saddledome. With the NHL lockout, it seems like taking in a WHL game on a Friday night is the thing to do for us hockey fans. I've felt like something was missing from my life, and it was the smell of the rink, the atmosphere of the game, and the team spirit. Growing up watching my brother play hockey saw a love for the sport grow within me. So, when Jenny proposed going to see a game with a group of people, I didn't hesitate to commit! 


The hockey game was great and everything, but I learned something about myself that night that has nothing to do with hockey. Allow me to paint a picture for you. My roommate Andrea and I both work until 6pm and the game started at 7pm. We knew we wanted to cab or take the transit to the Saddledome. By 6:40pm when we still hadn't succeeded in contacting a cab (ALL phone lines were busy!) we ran to catch the bus outside the apartment. We already know at this point that we are going to be late for the 7pm start time. We had to make a connecting bus downtown, but because of construction, we couldn't find the stop. Here's where the story gets good...

Andrea: "They must have removed the bus stop because of construction!"

Me: "Should we take the C-Train?" 

Andrea: "I don't know..." 

Me: "Or I could hail a cab!?" 

As I stepped off the curb slightly, and with the swift lift of my left arm holding up one finger and waving at the yellow SUV cab coming my way, the driver swerved in our direction and gave us a lift to the rink. I sat in the front seat with this goofy grin on my face, not knowing that Andrea was thinking the exact same thing I was. When we got out of the cab, Andrea just looked at me and said (something along the lines of): "You look like you've done that before!"

I had my first Carrie Bradshaw moment...This means I'm a real city girl, right?!

No comments:

Post a Comment