Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Best Friend Adventure.

You know what's great about having a birthday so close to Christmas? You become one of those lucky people in the world who gets to celebrate "Birthmas!" I was born on January 9, 1989. Yes, that makes me 23. Fun fact: I was actually due on December 24, 1988. How great would that have been to have your birthday on Christmas Eve? - NOT! Anyways, the point of this post is not to boast about my birthday, or how old I am. It's to tell you of this awesome adventure I went on this past weekend with my best friend, Sara. 

WAYYY back in October, Sara sent me a link with a message that said something along the lines of: "Have you seen this?!" The "this" was a video trailer for Cirque de Soleil: Michael Jackson "The Immortal" Tour. For those of you who don't know me that well - I LOVE MICHAEL JACKSON! Adore. Admire. Respect. Love. Pure talent. I responded to Sara saying, "I have to see this!!"


Long story short, we did away with getting each other Christmas and Birthday presents this year, and went in on (expensive) tickets to see this show and take a mini vacation together - which we have never done before (unless you count high school band trips, haha!) 

Talk about the best "Birthmas" present ever. Words can not explain the emotions, the joy, and the pure awesome that was this show. Several times throughout I would lean over and say to Sara "I think I'm gonna cry!" or "OH MY GOD, OH MY GOD, OH MY GOD!" I can't pick a favourite performance, they were all my favourite. I found myself dancing in my seat, singing along, crying, and clapping throughout the whole show.



Seeing as this was a Cirque de Soleil show, I went in thinking that it would be full of acrobatics and jaw dropping stunts - which it was. However, what got me even more excited was how close this show was to some of the visions Michael Jackson had for his final tour before passing away. Many of the dance sequences, backdrops, effects, and performances were inspired by the ideas he had for his own show. In all actuality, this is the closest I will ever come to a Michael Jackson performance, and I am beyond excited and thankful for that.



Besides this amazing show we took in on our last day in Montreal, Sara and I did some other fun and exciting things together on our trip. We took in some shopping in the Underground City, went to the Biodome (sans otters, to our disappointment), went up the Olympic Tower, explored Old Montreal, and met up with an old friend, Schyuler! We titled our mini-vacation the "Best Friend Adventure!"



Seeing as I am moving out west in a little less then a month, I am so glad she and I got to do this together. We've never done anything one-on-one like this before, and it really gave me a chance to truly appreciate our friendship like I haven't before and solidify why we're the best of friends. My moving to Calgary will be the first time we haven't lived within 10 minutes of one another - we grew up in the same town and moved to the same city after high school. Change is a scary thing, but everything happens for a reason and I know this move will only make us stronger. 





2 comments:

  1. It looks like you guys had a lot of fun! I'm so glad!

    Confession: When I read, "I am moving out west in a little less then a month" I had to take a quick breath. I didn't realize it was so soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm totally going to start celebrating this "birthmas!" mine is Dec 27th. thanks for the idea :) Looks like you have an amazing time :)

    ReplyDelete