Thursday, February 2, 2012

Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close.

Lines from the film Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close:

Oskar: "What do you miss about him?"

Mother: "I miss his voice telling me he loves me."

----------

Sitting in the theatre, I nod my head and whisper "yes." I know how this feels, and I still feel it now and then. 


An incredible and moving movie. I didn't cry as much as I thought I would. In fact, I only teared up once (during the quoted moment above). It was amazing and inspiring to be in Oskar's thought processes and in his journey to find something he thought his Dad had left behind for him. He is a remarkable boy with the most intricate mind. I could have sat and watched/listened to him for hours. I'm definitely more motivated now to go read the book.  

Oskar is a nine-year-old boy who lost his father in 9/11. After finding a key in a blue vase in his father's closet, Oskar spends his weekends searching for who the key belongs to and what it opens hoping he'll find something that his Dad intended for Oskar to find. 

Oskar meets many people and hears their stories, when at the same time, the audience is living Oskar's story with him. I felt connected to Oskar and when he experienced extreme emotional break downs I wanted to reach my hand out and comfort him. It was obvious at the end of the film how much he impacted every person he encountered. And to see the relationship between Oskar and his mother blossom was one of the most touching and beautiful things I've ever seen on film. It was so real and so calming that I felt I was in the room with them. 

A wonderful movie, and I highly recommend it to you all. 

If you've seen it, what did you think? Leave a comment! 

(Photo via IMDb)

No comments:

Post a Comment